Friday, December 5, 2008

Reflection on TE448 Course

There are many things that I will take away from the TE448 course. In this post I will reflect on a few of these ideas.

I was really struck by the difference between stereotypes and generalizations. I had not realized that such small distinctions in their definitions made such a large impact. Carlos Cortes’ article “Helping Students Understand Stereotyping” in The
Education Digest
, (Apr 2001) explains the subtle differences between stereotypes and generalizations. Stereotypes are ideas about a group that do not change even when evidence proves them wrong. Generalizations might presuppose ideas onto an entire group, but are easily changed when faced with condemning evidence. It is important to realize the difference between the two terms when choosing children’s literature. Classroom literature should not perpetuate stereotypes.

The idea of authentic literature was not something I saw as an “insider/outsider” debate prior to this course. My first post on this blog expresses how quality literature can be written by “outside” authors. However, I now realize that the most authentic literature is written by “inside” or informed authors. This course taught me to carefully weigh the advantages and drawbacks when choosing between both works written by “insiders” and “outsiders.”

Both of these ideas presented in the TE448 course helped me to change my perspective of authentic and quality children’s literature. Knowing these concepts allows me to be informed when reading literature or choosing it for others to read. This will enable me to make better choices and ensure the best possible experience.

No comments: